Subject: Maximum size for hard disks (and recommendations)
To: NetBSD/cobalt <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/04/2003 23:09:09
--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

Hi,

I would like to upgrade the hard disk in my Qube 2 from the piddly
little Quantum Fireball 4GB that is currently installed.

I understand the situation regarding power and perhaps to a lesser
extent heat, but I was wondering what restrictions there are on the
maximum size of disk I can use?

I was hoping to perhaps use something around the 160GB mark, maybe
bigger if the price is right. Will I be able to see all of this disk
under NetBSD? Any booting difficulties?

Also, I intend to investigate this a bit regardless, but do any current
Qube 2 owners have any recommendations for suitable disks?

I have currently two models in mind from looking at the archives:

120GB Maxtor 4R120L0
120GB Samsung SV1204H

I'm guessing the equivalent 160GB+ models are not going to be that
dissimilar with regards to operating characteristics.

Thanks in advance

Matt
--=20
"A violent man will respond poorly to a gift of flowers."

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/

--pWyiEgJYm5f9v55/--