Subject: NetBSD restore CD 1.6.1 step
To: 'Hilary' <IN@workingsolutions.com>
From: Daniel Ouellet <daniel@presscom.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/24/2003 19:42:12
Hi,

I got the same questions a few times, so I thought that I should put the
answer on the list for future reference may be.

Obviously that works for me, but do as you see fit for your setup.

1. Burn the ISO to CD. ( Don't forget to use the copy image CD feature =
of
your software, what ever it is that you use, not only coping files)
2. Boot the CD in an i386 machine.
3. Connect the Cobalt to your switch obviously as to communicate between
your boot server and the Cobalt to be setup.
4. Netboot the Cobalt (hold Left and Right buttons together when=20
powering on - status will read "Net Booting")
5. Enjoy the display as each step done are describe on it...
6. When done, the server will reboot itself. Just wait....
7. When ready for you to access it, you will see the IP on the display =
rlogin into. Usually it is 10.0.0.160, but may be different if you do =
more
then one. Just look on the display and you will see where to go.
8. rlogin to it at the IP's above from your boot server, or any other
computer on the 10.0.0.x subnet.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
The following are what I do to finish the setup, but again, you do as =
you
see fit. That works for me.

9. change the root password
10. create an account you will use to ssh to the box and make it a =
member of
wheel so that you can su to root from it.
11. edit the /etc/passwd.conf to have more the 8 characters password! My
choice here. The default only use 8. So I have:

default:
localcipher =3D md5
ypcipher =3D old

Note, the ypcipher is not use for me, but I configure it anyway.

12. edit /etc/inetd.conf and comment the line for telnet and rlogin
PLEASE!!!

13. edit /etc/rc.conf and remove the dhcp, paneld and nfs and then add =
the
inetd and sshd. So the file will look like:

<snip>
# Add local overrides below
#
inetd=3DNO
sshd=3DYES

Again, here I don't use inetd, but you most likely may well need it. =
Setup
as you see fit. As for paneld, it is good, but simply use to much =
resource
for me to let it run. Without anything running, utime will show 1.10 and
killing paneld, will bring it to .05 to .08. Again, do as you see fit,
that's what I do.

14. echo 'your.domain' > /etc/defaultdomain
15. echo 'your.ip.address	your.full.name	hostname' > /etc/hosts
16. echo 'inet your.ip.address netmask your.netmask' > =
/etc/ifconfig.tlp0
Above, your network card may be different, but look your dmesg to be =
safe.
Mine is tlp0 and tlp1.

17. echo 'your.gateway.ip' > /etc/mygate
18. echo 'your.full.qualify.internet.name' > /etc/myname
19. edit /etc/resolv.conf to install the right information in there.
search your.domain.name
nameserver your.name.server.ip
etc if more then one name server...

Then reboot and enjoy.
Now you have a secure box that only is accessible via ssh. Go install =
what
you like next and have fun!

PS: Don't forget to make sure your password is more then 8 characters =
after
the reboot as the setup kick in after that.