Subject: Re: Question on the Qube 2700?
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Brandon Shiers <BrandonS@wyoming.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/20/2003 11:29:51
--=====================_267408390==.ALT

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 07:53:27AM -0700, Brandon Shiers wrote:
 > Has anybody got NetBSD installed on a Qube 2700?  I have tried but have no
 > luck.  I get the restore CD and can boot off it on my i386 PC.  I get that
 > system up and then netboot the Qube.  It says net booting, and then the
 > screen goes blank and the link light on the nic goes on and off, on and
 > off.  The HDD is a virgin HDD (well right now I'm running the Qube restore
 > CD).  Everything is jumpered right.  Per some previous posts this year on
 > the 2700, it looks like the box is loading the kernel and trying to build
 > /dev.

  I fear this is what Ray Dekens has reported quite a while ago. That is, the
kernel fails to initialize Tulip card properly. The driver times out during
setup saying "filter setup and transmit timeout", then re-initilizes the card
and tries the same thing again, this is why nic leds are blinking. I suspect
interrupt setup and/or handling is broken for 2700, but we have not succeeded
in fixing it yet.

  I also wonder if anyone got 2700 to work.

It would be great if somebody had.  I'd love nothing more than to run
NetBSD on my Qube 2700.  I think it must be something with the box itself
as you mention because the machine I booted the restore cd off of had a
tulip-based nic and it works just fine.

SY,
--cdi