Subject: Re: Network routing on 1.6.1
To: Randy Carpenter <rcarpen@rune.net>
From: Byron Servies <bservies@pacang.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/17/2003 08:25:02
On Sunday, November 16, 2003, at 11:16 PM, Randy Carpenter wrote:

> I have been using 1.6 on my Raq2+ for a while as my router. I just
> installed 1.6.1 on a new hard drive to use, and I cannot get
> networking to
> work properly. I have 2 interfaces. tlp0 is the main interface, and it
> works properly. tlp1 is the second interface, and it also works
> properly.
>
> The issue is that I cannot get it to route the devices that live
> behind it
> on the second interface out the main interface.
>
> Also, I noticed was that my ipf rules that worked before no longer
> do. If I put my /etc/ipf.conf in place, I get this on startup:
>
> 2:ioctl(add/insert rule): Bad file descriptor
> 3:ioctl(add/insert rule): Bad file descriptor
> 4:ioctl(add/insert rule): Bad file descriptor
> 5:ioctl(add/insert rule): Bad file descriptor
> 8:ioctl(add/insert rule): Bad file descriptor
> (etc... for every line)
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what changed in the upgrade to 1.6.1
> that
> would cause both of these to not work?

Hi there!

The default cobalt kernel configuration file does not turn on ipfilter
or routing.  You need to turn on GATEWAY and "pseudo-device ipfilter"
for these features.

I would like to see the "OS restore CD" include a kernel that has
everything turned on, ala x86, now that the size limitation has been
dealt with using the boot loader.

Byron