Subject: RE: Is the restore CD bootable
To: Daniel Ouellet <daniel@presscom.net>
From: None <IN@workingsolutions.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/12/2003 21:02:20
Hi Daniel,

  Thanks for the quick reply.

Here's the deal - did the download - uncompressed the .gz file using Winzip
which gave me an image.iso file - used Nero - told it that this was a
bootable CD and to use the image.iso file - the CD burns without error - if
I call it up, I see a fully exploded directory structure - take it to any
one of 3 separate i386 computers, but none of them recognize it as a
bootable CD.

I've tested the computers by using a Cobalt 3 restore CD from the factory -
that boots
I've tested again by using Nero to copy the CD to a CD-R (in case of media
problem) - that boots
But the CD from the ISO (or the earlier CD from the ISO I dowloaded from the
only.mawhrin.net site) refuses to boot.

So right now I'm in this circular hell - I've been to the Nero site,
figuring I didn't understand how to use the program, I've gotten a trial
edition of Alcohol 120, I've been reading everything I can get my hands on,
but no luck so far.

So if I understand you - this ISO SHOULD be bootable on its own - so I've
got to try again with different media (or something)

Rick