Subject: Re: has the generic kernel already support for netatalk
To: John Allan <jallan@freeuk.com>
From: Rodrigo Fernandez-Vizarra <Rodrigo.Fdz-Vizarra@infonegocio.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/10/2003 11:14:33
Hi John,

you could find the info about how to compile your own kernel in:

http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/chap-kernel.html

I'll make a summary of the step (hope I don't forget any)

The kernel source is available as a package set in:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/source/sets/syssrc.tgz

Download it (anywhere in the filesystem) and uncompress it with this command

# tar xvCf / syssrc.tgz

and you will have the missing /usr/src files.

Now go to the /usr/src/sys/arch/cobalt/conf and copy the file called
GENERIC to a another file like QUBE2

# cp GENERIC QUBE2

edit the new file (QUBE2) to meet your requirements (in your case you'll
need at least to uncoment the netatalk option)

Build the new kernel...

# config QUBE2

# cd ../compile/QUBE2

# make depend

# make

When you finish the will be a file called netbsd in that directory...
that file is your new kernel. Now you have to place it in the right
locations so that your qube can load it whe it boots.

First make a backup of your existing kernel

# cp /netbsd /netbsd-1.6.1-orig

copy the new kernel

# cp netbsd /netbsd

Now you have to copy again the kernel to the special ext2 filesystem so
the qube rom can find it when it boots, sorry I don't use the 1.6.1 CD
install so this instructions could not be 100% acurate (I don't know the
disk slides layout that the CD makes at install).

There should be an ext2 filesystem in one of your HD slices... try
looking at /etc/fstab... make sure it's mounted... let say it's mounted
in /altroot

Backup old kernel

# cp /altroot/boot/vmlinux.gz /altroot/boot/vmlinux.gz-1.6.1-orig
# cp /altroot/boot/
# cp /netbsd vmlinux
# gzip -9 vmlinux

It is a good idea not to have this ext2 slide mounted during normal
operation so if there's an 'unexpected' power off the filesystem won't
be damaged and your qube2 will still be able to boot (I've some problems
with this in the past)

# umount /altroot
# sync
# reboot

and if everthing worked ok your qube will boot with netatalk support

Hope this helps...

Rodrigo

P.S: There's some good Netbsd documentation in
http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/