Subject: Re: Several Newcomer Questions
To: Jamie Heilman <jamie@audible.transient.net>
From: André <bouillon@bikochan.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 09/16/2003 22:49:33
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:10:05 -0700
Jamie Heilman <jamie@audible.transient.net> wrote:

> > 6) Has anybody experiences with making the Qube more
> > quite? At the moment mine is very loud.
>
> I cut away the fan guard on my qube2 (its just stamped out of the
> case) to open up the air flow a bit and hopefully lower the resonant
> frequency.  Did it work?  I have no idea, too much other noisy shit in
> the same room. <g>  In theory it should though, so I suppose its
> something to think about if you figure out the noise is the fan's
> fault.

I replaced the fan with a 4cm titan fan which i power at 7v using
a Y-cable between the motherboard and the HDD.
A lot quieter and still as cool (maybe cooler?)
if only i could find a silent HDD. but seagate's baracuda IV/V are
hard to find lately.
anyone has a recommandation on HDD choice? 30G is plenty enough.