Subject: Several Newcomer Questions
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Mock <andreas.mock@web.de>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 09/15/2003 09:32:22
Hallo Cobalt community,

I'm very new to Cobalt and NetBSD as well.
I got one Qube2 and started to experiment with it.
After finding this very nice and easy to install
1.6.1 CD-image I put that on the qube. Many thanks
to the developers, maintainers and images builders
for this great work.

After several hours of reading mailings, docs,
faqs and so on, I have several unanswered questions.
Probably I get help here.

1) I install my old Terratec Solo-1 soundcard in
the spare PCI slot of that Qube2. It gets recognized
by the default kernel on boot up.
Now I downloaded the kernel sources, LCD patches
and other needed stuff to compile a kernel with
soundcard support.
The first thing I was wondering was that I couldn't
find any of the default sound configuring entries
in the GENERIC file. Is sound not supported at all?
If yes, why?

I added the lines:
     eso*   at pci? dev ? function ?
     audio* at eso?
     mpu*   at eso?
     opl*   at eso?
     midi*  at mpu?

and got the kernel compiled and installed.
So far, I was happy that the new kernel booted
without any problems.
But while booting I got the following message:
eso0: reset timeout

Does anybody have a hint why this could happen?

2) While looking at the /dev/MAKEDEV script I
wondered why there are no entries for the device
special files for audio, mixer and so on.
Is audio definitly not supported? When yes, why?
Does anybody know the major/minor numbers of the
relevant audio device driver special files?

3) For somethiing different I downloaded mit-pthreads
and tried to compile it. I got the error, that this
is not supported by this architecture. As I'm new
to MIPS, can anyone proof this? Why is it not
supported? It there an article to get more information?

4) With the original OS of the QUBE you get a message
on the LCD that you can power down safely after shutting
down the system. Could this also be achieved with
netbed? And how?

5) I would be interested which PCI devices work in that
sprare PCI slot. Can you tell me?

6) Has anybody experiences with making the Qube more
quite? At the moment mine is very loud.

I hope that are not too much questions and even some
of them get answered  ;-)

Thank you all in advance
Andreas

38xTestsieger - WEB.DE FreeMail - Deutschlands beste E-Mail
Jeden Monat mit 10% mehr Leistung! http://f.web.de/?mc=021138