Subject: Re: How to recompile Kernel after using install CD
To: , <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Wil Bowes <wil@kiowa.demon.co.uk>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 09/04/2003 12:52:29
Phil,

I used the standard method for recompiling my kernel, seemed to work ok. Had
to disable the LCD output in /etc/rc (see below) as I hadn't applied the
patch to the kernel source (do I need to do this??).

/etc/rc:
#       echo -n "[Starting up]     > $script_name" > /dev/lcd

Kernel recompile procedure:

1. Downloaded syssrc.tgz
2. Untarred using cd /; tar zxvpf /tmp/syssrc.tgz
3. cd /usr/src/sys/arch/cobalt/conf
4. cp GENERIC QUBE
5. vi QUBE
6. Made changes.
7. config QUBE
8. cd ../compile/QUBE
9. make depend
10. make
11. make install (copies /netbsd to /onetbsd and overwrites /netbsd with new
kernel).
12. reboot

I was expecting to have to faff around with the /altroot/boot files but I
found I didn't have to.

This was all done after a fresh install from the 1.6.1 restore CD and I'm
doubting myself that it was this easy now but I'm 99.9% certain I didn't
have to do anything else!!

BTW if anyone is remotely interested I'm trying to get Otto Audio Jukebox
http://www.cardhouse.com/otto/ working on my Qube2 (Gateway Micro Server),
I've installed a Soundblaster PCI 128 (Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 ES1371B (rev.
0x09) eap driver) and it appears to be detected and installed fine...
Haven't played any sounds through it yet so I could be getting my hopes up
too early!!

Otto is designed to work with mySQL but I've managed to persuade it to talk
with PostgreSQL and all the other software it requires is supported on the
Qube2. I'm just not a Perl programmer so the latest error I've hit has
flummoxed me for the moment.

Wil