Subject: Re: Very long pauses in 1.6.1
To: Rodrigo Fernandez-Vizarra Rodrigo.Fdz-Vizarra-at-infonegocio.com |netbsd| <e6omhjt9x60t@sneakemail.com>
From: Chas Posinoff <wkm00jtd02@sneakemail.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/18/2003 16:24:00
Rodrigo Fernandez-Vizarra Rodrigo.Fdz-Vizarra-at-infonegocio.com
|netbsd| wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had the same problem. It seems that the telnetd tries to do a
> reverse DNS query  for the client connection. Does your client IP has
> a reverse entry in the DNS? I solved my problem in that way (but that
> was with 1.6)

Yes -- I would concur. I was suspicious about this hardware until I
found out ( I think by viewing the syslog ) that it was dns lookups on
the incoming connection which time-out and cause delay.

Read down for further response:

> Regards,
> Rodrigo
>
> Ian Spray wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 02:39:20AM +0100, John Allan wrote:
>>

>>> Yup, seems the same anywhere
>>>
>>> Tried ftp to ftp ftp.netbsd.org but it just sits there all day doing
>>> nothing.

I experienced this as well the other day, from my OS X machine. Haven't
tried today. Appears unrelated to your issue. Netbsd.gw.com also
appeared down - perhaps because of the north east grid failure?

-Chas