Subject: Very long pause before Telnetting into 1.6.1
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: John Allan <jallan@freeuk.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/18/2003 02:08:36
Hi

Still wrestling to set up the 1.6.1 install ... certainly is not a
beginner's install.

Just need to touch base with reality, if anyone has seen it recently.

Qube2, at least 144 MB RAM, pretty new 40 GB IBM Deskstar. Used Denis's new
CD install.

All I have done is give it a domain name, IP, gateway and subnet mask; and
set a password for root.

Basically, even if it has been up and running for ages, to log in via Telne=
takes approximately 3 minutes every time.

Is this normal?=20

Just tried it again, 2 min 30 secs.

I kind of think something must be up because it does seem to hang doing eve=
simple stuff like trying to ping. It takes about a minute before it kicks
in.

I am trying to follow Federico Lupi's introduction to NetBSD. From a
complete lack of books relating to NetBSD over here in the UK, I have picke=
up Absolute FreeBSD, and just tonight, FreeBSD Unleashed. I don=B9t know if
anyone can recommend any better sources or a more apt list.

For first timers it is a real brain ache because none of the starting point=
relate to this install. It is always tought with older hardware because one
never knows it the hardware is complete kosher either.

There is no apache in there either, right?

Thanks,

John