Subject: FAQ entry (was: Re: upgrading to 1.6.1 - and can you upgrade remotely?)
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Andre Schulze <as8@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/09/2003 13:18:44
Am Wed den 06 Aug 2003 um 04:54:27PM -0700 schrieb Chas Posinoff:
> Thank you Andre - this should come in very handy in the future.
>
> Would you feel comfortable submitting your words of wisdom to the
> port-cobalt FAQ?
>
> List, who's maintaining that FAQ anyway? I seem to remember it has a few

The thing about the running ssh service remains to be validated. It would
be exaggerated to advice people to install and start a copy of ssh
in /usr/local if it is not really necessary to have a copy that
is not being overwritten during the update.
This is a suggestion for the FAQ, without the ssh precausions in
question.

Q: How can i update to a new release of NetBSD?

A: Untar the distribution in the / directory. You should skip the
   etc.tgz file to keep your old settings.
   Before doing the update shut down all services which are not
   vital for the update. In case you are using a serial console
   you can terminate all services (and all other running processes)
   by saying:

	kill -TERM 1

   If you are maintaining your system remotely you must make sure
   to keep the sshd service alive. Stop the non vital services
   manually by saying:

	/etc/rc.d/${service} stop

   repeatately for every non vital service. To get a hint what
   services are active you can have a look:

	ps ax

   Untar the distribution:

	cd /
	tar pzxvf --unlink ${distfile}

   Copy the kernel to the place where the bootloader expects it
   and make a backup before that if you like:

	cp /boot/vmlinuz.gz /boot/netbsd-old.gz
	cp ${kernel} /boot/vmlinux.gz

   Reboot the box:

	reboot