Subject: help with new hardrive
To: None <port-cobalt@NetBSD.org>
From: Frank Mattes <f.mattes@ucl.ac.uk>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/18/2003 10:33:06
Dear Cobalt users,

as (I think) posted before, my original 10 Gbyte harddrive died. I
looked for a new 5200 rpm one, and encouraged by the reports of using
a > 80 Gbyte, I looked for somthing in the range of 80 to 12 Gbyte.

However it seems impossible to get a large 5200 rmpm disk. All I
could find are 7200 rmp. I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the
issue of using a 7200 rpm disk in a cobalt. I bought already a
harddisk cooler (two small fans, mounted on a metal plate which gets
fixed on the drive) hoping this will help to reduce the heat.

I'm also interested to hear any comment which manufacor to choose. I
saw (at the computer fairs in London) mainly matrox > seagate > ibm.
A 80 Gbyte matrox is going for 58 GBP ~ 90 USD, again I'm not sure if
this is a good deal.

I appreciate all your help

Frank
--