Subject: Re: restore cd on qube
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: None <cdi@mawhrin.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/11/2003 11:03:08
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 08:24:07AM +0000, phil@tetrisplayer.fsnet.co.uk wrote:
> Is that it? I mean is it fully installed or not - because I couldn't find a

 Yes, that's pretty much it. Note however that it is the *base* system which
is installed, you will not find e.g. X on your system. There is a tarball on
the CD that basically contains /usr/X11R6, but you have to install it
manually.

> lot of stuff on it. Do I need to repartition the disk or not? How do I

 You shouldn't need to repartition the disk unless you are not happy with the
estimates taken by the installation script. But in that case there was
probably no need to use automated installation at all :)

> recompile the kernel - I can't find the sources on my system. Also when I

 Sources are not included on the CD, please see
http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/ to find out the best way to get the kernel.

> turn the Qube off (shutdown -h now), then turn it on, I can't get back into
> it???  I had to reinstall again.

 Just don't turn off your laptop which is booted from the CD or (even better)
use serial console to make network settings. Once Qube is installed, it is
configured to get its ip configuration from DHCP server which is running off
the installation CD -- otherwise there is no way to setup the network if e.g.
serial console is not present. In other words, there are a few things to do
manually in order to complete the installation:

 - Login into your box
 - Turn off DHCP client (comment out appropriate line in /etc/rc.conf) or
   reconfigure it as needed
 - Setup your primary network interface (simply create /etc/ifconfig.tlp0
   with the appropriate information)
 - If needed, setup your secondary interface

Also, telnetd is on by default. I would recommend to disable it and use sshd
instead.

Hope this helps,
--cdi