Subject: mrtg on RaQ2
To: None <port-cobalt-maintainer@NetBSD.org>
From: Bob <bob@webpg.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/13/2003 20:28:50
Hi,

I have spent some serious time sifting through the docs and mail archives
looking for a solution to get mrtg up and running on a RaQ2.  I am hoping
you can be of some assistance.

I can install the binary package of mrtg-2.9.17nb1.tgz and the prerequisites
with no problems.  The problem comes when you go to run mrtg.  It is looking
for an X11 library, libX11.so.6 and causes rateup to die.

I looked for the xbase or xcomp packages to no avail, to try and install the
missing X11 libraries.  Next I tried compiling the latest mrtg-2.9.26b out
of my freshly downloaded pkgsrc tree.   To get make to work with no X11, I
used CONFIGURE_ARGS=  --without-x11 and deleted the USE_X11= YES line.  This
at least got make to start working.

make then chokes at:

checking for gdImageGif in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg in -lgd... no
checking for gdImagePng_jpg_ft in -lgd... no
checking for gdImageGd in -lgd... no
checking gd.h usability... yes
checking gd.h presence... yes
checking for gd.h... yes

** The GD library is required for rateup to compile.
   Get it from http://www.boutell.com, compile it and
   use either --with-gd-lib=DIR and --with-gd-inc=DIR to specify
   its location. You might also have to use --with-z-inc, --with-z-lib
   and --with-png-inc, --with-png-lib for gd versions 1.6 and higher.
   Check config.log for more information on the problem. If your system
   has libgd installed, you probably mis the gd.h header file.

   Consider following the instructions in doc/unix-guide.txt
*** Error code 1

These are both common problems I have seen in the mail archives, but I have
not seen a solution for the cobalt or mipsel platform.

I know mrtg-2.9.17 works properly on a RaQ2 because I have been running it
for almost 2 years on the standard cobalt OS that I compiled it, and the
prerequisites, on from scratch.  My disk is starting to die on that box, and
perl performs like a pig on it.  I thought a slick new NetBSD install might
be the answer.

Thank you much for your time,

Bob Radke
bob@webpg.net