Subject: Netbooting a Cobalt Qube from a NetBSD box...
To: Port-Cobalt <>
From: Robert P. Thille <>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/27/2002 20:14:02
I've got dhcpd setup and it claims that it's got a boot request from
the Qube I'm trying to netboot:
Nov 27 20:07:09 bluesky dhcpd: BOOTREQUEST from 00:10:e0:00:d1:f9 via
Nov 27 20:07:09 bluesky dhcpd: BOOTREPLY for to (00:10:e0:00:d1:f9) via tlp0

And I think I've got the dhcpd.conf file setup correctly (it give
address out to all the machines just fine):

# This block should be commented out unless we are trying to netboot
# iceqube to fix something :-(
   host {
       hardware ethernet 00:10:E0:00:D1:F9;
       option host-name "iceqube";      # name if dns lookup doesn't
       filename "/netbsd.gz";           # name of the bootloader or
kernel to download
       next-server; # which machine to tftp filename
       option root-path "/home/iceqube/root";   #the path on the NFS

But it's unclear from the FAQ and the Diskless NetBSD guide whether I
really need the tftp server setup or not?  Can I get away with just the
NFS server?  Does the ROM in the Cobalt Qube2 understand NFS, or only

I think I'll go ahead and try to setup the TFTPD if I don't hear from
someone soon, but figured asking might save me some time.