Subject: Re: To Qube, Or Not To Qube
To: Mind <mindphunked@yahoo.com>
From: Robert P.Thille <rthille@mac.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 11/06/2002 07:40:52
On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 01:59  AM, Mind wrote:

> Guys, Thanks for all the great replies. I'm very
> encouraged after hearing all of this info. I'm going
> to go with a 120 gig WD drive. I do have a recovery
> CD. Perhaps that's the easiest way to get the process
> started.
>
> I'll post my progress to the list. I may try to wedge
> in 2 drives. I'm not adverse to using duct tape..
> 240gigs would be sweet ;)

Software/firmware wise, the qube2 will handle 2 drives just fine.
Power-wise I'm not sure the stock power supply will handle it, but see
archives of this list for information about getting a bigger one.

On the physical side, I've run two drives off my qube fairly often when
configuring them or when wanting to mess with the linux drive in my
Tivo.  However, that was with the second drive just sitting on top of
the metal box.  I believe that a second drive will fit inside, and be
fairly easily mounted with some sheet-metal pieces screwed to the other
drive... However, I couldn't figure out how to get it in there and
hooked up.  I could see that it would fit once I got it in, but
couldn't figure out how to get it in.  Maybe if I completely
disassembled the Qube2, and then put the drives in first it might work.
  As for heat, as long as the fan keeps turning I think you'll be fine,
though when you stack the two drives on top of one another, you might
try to leave as much space between them as you can.

Robert