Subject: Re: To Qube, Or Not To Qube
To: Mind <mindphunked@yahoo.com>
From: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/23/2002 16:46:24
In message <20021023230223.98895.qmail@web10206.mail.yahoo.com>Mind writes
>On the technical side, My questions are:
>What is the maximum drive capacity the Qube 2 will
>support? What's the biggest drive anyone has
>successfully used? Has anyone used two drives? Are
>there heat/power issues with bigger 7200 RPM drives?

I've got a 60GB Maxtor 540x series drive in mine.  I choose the
5400 RPM drive because of its low power consumption.  I can't
imagine how you could wedge a second drive in there.  There isn't
a whole lot of room;  I think you'd have to do some fabrication
(or use alot of duct tape) to get it all put together.

Now, that said, I *did* lose a power supply a few months ago.
I had put the Qube onto a UPS (cheap UPSes apparently have
a bad effect on the power supply), and I had a PCI wireless card
in it, which was drawing even more power.

Before the UPS and the wireless card, I had some months of
good service.  My impression (unsullied by facts) is that
the problem is power, not heat.  A Cobalt engineer suggested
to me awhile back that lots of people just turned off the fan
in the Qube 2 without any trouble.

Good luck,

Kevin
kml@ptheticgeek.net