Subject: Re: To Qube, Or Not To Qube
To: Mind <mindphunked@yahoo.com>
From: Jamie Heilman <jamie@audible.transient.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/23/2002 16:47:41
> What is the maximum drive capacity the Qube 2 will
> support?

probably 137G due to chipset/ATA limitations, but thats a guess

> What's the biggest drive anyone has successfully used?

I'm currently using a 120G Maxtor 4G120J6 with no problems.

> Has anyone out there turned a Qube 2 into a usable mass storage
> system? This is for my home network, so the Qube is ideal because
> it's quite and it looks cool. So it comes down it practicality.

Yeah, my qube2 is my nfs and internal mail server.  It works well
enough, though its not particularly fast.  I play flac files over NFS
more or less all day from my linux workstation (nfs v3), which keeps
the load avg of my cobalt at about 1.3+.  Additional network durress
usually means dropouts.  If you've already got the machine though I
see no reason not to use it as network storage.  It might not be able
to host as much ata disk as a modern pc, but its still useful.  And if
you feel really ambitious you can try finding a PCI disk controller to
overcome the bus limitations.  Though I'll warn you right now, I
haven't had much luck with the siop driver.  (though I haven't tried
again since 1.6 came out)

--
Jamie Heilman                   http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"We must be born with an intuition of mortality.  Before we know the words