Subject: To Qube, Or Not To Qube
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Mind <mindphunked@yahoo.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 10/23/2002 16:02:23
Hi All,

I'm looking for solution to some home storage
problems. The problem is, I need more storage! So I'm
faced with this Dilemma... Should I dust off my Qube 2
and shoehorn a big (80+) gig drive into it, and use it
as a server? Or should I bite the bullet and buy/build
some sort of NAS box.

On the technical side, My questions are:
What is the maximum drive capacity the Qube 2 will
support? What's the biggest drive anyone has
successfully used? Has anyone used two drives? Are
there heat/power issues with bigger 7200 RPM drives?

Ideally, I'd love to put 2 Western Digital 120 Gig
7200 RPM drives in the Qube and use software Raid 0
and Samba. But I'm not sure the qube will handle it
for many reasons. But I'll settle for 80 gigs if I
have to.

Has anyone out there turned a Qube 2 into a usable
mass storage system? This is for my home network, so
the Qube is ideal because it's quite and it looks
cool. So it comes down it practicality.

Tell me your expierences. Any info will help.

Thanks!