Subject: Re: hardware: qube2 and random lockups
To: Jamie Heilman <jamie@audible.transient.net>
From: Robert P. Thille <rthille@mac.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 09/25/2002 00:35:34
On Tuesday, September 24, 2002, at 03:42  PM, Jamie Heilman wrote:

>> my qube2 locks up at more or less random times.
>> Most of the time the box locks up during large nfs file transfers but
>> it also crashed while compiling stuff.
>
> How often?  Can you reliably make it occur?  I've suffered 1 lockup
> running 1.6 beta 4 during large NFS file transfers (10 to 12 50-60M
> files in a row).  I've since upgraded to 1.6 release (used build.sh,
> no lockups, nice and smooth), so far no lockups, haven't hammered it
> quite as hard yet though.  Still I wasn't able to reliably reproduce
> the crash, and the first time it happened I didn't have the console
> monitored so I'm not sure what really happened.

I've got a couple of Qube2 machines running 1.5.2.  They are pretty
lightly used: one's my DSL router for my house, and the other is pretty
much just a spare that I build packages on and try things out.  I've
seen both machines lock up more than once, but I haven't seen it in a
few months.

I also didn't have a console on either machine's serial port, so I don't
know what happened either :-(

Robert