Subject: Re: hardware: qube2 and random lockups
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Byron Servies <bservies@pacang.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 09/24/2002 08:20:11
On September 23, 2002 at 22:49, Andre Schulze wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> my qube2 locks up at more or less random times. As nobody seems to complain
> about lockups in this list i conclude that it must be a hardware issue.
> I used different kernels over the time (1.5, 1.5.1 and some compiled from
> source) and still those lockups.
> Most of the time the box locks up during large nfs file transfers but
> it also crashed while compiling stuff.
>
> I changed the hard drive some time ago but i also had those stability problems
> before that.
> Do you have any hints what i can do to track down the problem? Test the
> memory in a x86 box? Ah, by the way: i only have one memory module so
> swapping them around makes no sense i suppose. But i don't even know if the
> memory is the one shipped from cobalt since i got this box as a used one.

Did you replace the original memory with the new, single
module?  If not, then is your swap configured and mounted
correctly?

In any event, it sounds to me like you are running out of memory,
unless the logs are showing a crash of some type.  I'm running
a 1.6 beta kernel, btw, and it has been fine; I'm sure the
official release is fine, too.

Byron