Subject: Re: Q: bootstrapping a "virgin" RaQ 1?
To: Patrick M. Hausen <hausen@punkt.de>
From: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/03/2002 09:02:28
In message <200207030800.g6380Gr86457@hugo10.ka.punkt.de>
"Patrick M. Hausen" writes:

>Getting -current sources from a daily snapshot and calling
>./build.sh failed early in the compilation process.
>I'm used to the "make buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld,
>mergemaster" steps in FreeBSD. Is NetBSD fundamentally different here?

I've never had any trouble on my i386 systems with the build.sh
process, but the Cobalt has always been a bit tougher.  I've often
had trouble with sh;  lately I've taken to temporarily replacing
/bin/sh with bash.

Once I do that, builds of both the regular source tree and
of pkgsrc seem to be much more successful.  The only downside
of this replacement is that the startup scripts in /etc/rc.d
don't seem to groove on bash, so I have to make sure I reinstate
the normal /bin/sh before rebooting.

I've been too lazy to PR this, let alone figure out the
problem, so I'm not exactly pointing fingers here.  :-)

Good luck,

Kevin
kml@patheticgeek.net