Subject: Re: Q: bootstrapping a "virgin" RaQ 1?
To: Patrick M. Hausen <>
From: Kevin Lahey <>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/03/2002 09:02:28
In message <>
"Patrick M. Hausen" writes:
>Getting -current sources from a daily snapshot and calling
>./ failed early in the compilation process.
>I'm used to the "make buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld,
>mergemaster" steps in FreeBSD. Is NetBSD fundamentally different here?

I've never had any trouble on my i386 systems with the
process, but the Cobalt has always been a bit tougher.  I've often
had trouble with sh;  lately I've taken to temporarily replacing
/bin/sh with bash.

Once I do that, builds of both the regular source tree and
of pkgsrc seem to be much more successful.  The only downside
of this replacement is that the startup scripts in /etc/rc.d
don't seem to groove on bash, so I have to make sure I reinstate
the normal /bin/sh before rebooting.

I've been too lazy to PR this, let alone figure out the
problem, so I'm not exactly pointing fingers here.  :-)

Good luck,