Subject: Q: bootstrapping a "virgin" RaQ 1?
To: None <>
From: Patrick M. Hausen <>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 07/03/2002 10:00:15
Hi all!

I started to experiment with NetBSD/Cobalt lately and
now I'm kind of stuck in the installation process.

Setting up my FreeBSD machine as a server to netboot
the RaQ and have it run from NFS root was painless as
can be - so now I'm running NetBSD 1.5.2. Great ;-)

The problem is getting the OS on that bloody hard disk.

1. boot netbsd.GENERIC.gz -> trigger DMA "bug", system hangs

2. boot netbsd.GENERIC.noatadma.gz -> system is running fine from
   NFS root

3. fdisk -> panic

I have found:

and various other mails stating the same problem. Since I can
run the system from NFS I could recompile. Is there any patch
to the kernel or fdisk letting me get beyond step 3?

Getting -current sources from a daily snapshot and calling
./ failed early in the compilation process.
I'm used to the "make buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld,
mergemaster" steps in FreeBSD. Is NetBSD fundamentally different here?

Patrick M. Hausen
Technical Director
-- GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Scheffelstr. 17 a     Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100
76135 Karlsruhe