Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 7.2.1 - fix, but who needs to know ?
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Spray <cobalt@borg.minimal.cx>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 06/09/2002 16:35:36
On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 03:10:36PM +0900, NISHIMURA, Toru wrote:
> PostgreSQL requires to use a pair of MIPS instructions
> named LL (load linked) and (store conditional).  They were
> extended instructions instroduced after the original
> MIPS processor R2000/R3000 design, and vest majority of
> MIPS processors on market does have LL/SC including your
> Cobalt.  So, ProtgreSQL should work for your NetBSD/cobalt.

Thanks for that confirmation - I had compiled the program on the original
Linux port in order to find out if this was the case, as the online MIPS
references I found weren't conclusive.  After doing this, I found that it was
possible to modify the PostgreSQL NetBSD template to apply -mips2 to CFLAGS
just for the NetBSD/cobalt port, and without the need to alter any of the
NetBSD port structure.

I've submitted that patch to pgsql-ports, but after reading your reply it
would seem to apply to more than just the Cobalt.  Hopefully if it gets
accepted it should be obvious enough to others what needs to be done for
their port.

TTFN,
--
Ian Spray