Subject: problems with tlp driver
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Nick Barkas <nick@replic.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/15/2002 20:46:38
Hi-
I recently acquired an old cobalt raq2 from work and decided to put netbsd on
it.  I've been having some problems getting it to netboot.  I can get the kernel
netbooted and loaded, but when I go to nfs mount the root filesystem, it fails.
And this would be why:

tlp0 at pci0 dev 7 function 0: DECchip 21143 Ethernet, pass 4.1
tlp0: sorry, unable to handle your board

I've seen others with simailar problems in the list archives, and it seems that
I'm going to need a custom kernel to get around this problem.  I've tried
a few different 1.5 and 1.5.2 cobalt kernels and they all have the same problem.
It looks like the linux driver for the NIC may be a bit of a hack based on the
dmesg when I boot linux on the raq:

tulip.c:v0.76 4/22/97 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
eth0: DEC 21142 Tulip at 0x10100000, 00 10 e0 00 5f 9b, IRQ 4

eth0: Old format EEPROM on 'Cobalt 27' board.  Using substitute media control i.
eth0: EEPROM default media type MII 10baseT.
eth0: Index #0 - Media MII (#11) described by a 21142 MII PHY (3) block.

Unfortunately I don't have another netbsd machine around and am unfamiliar with
cross compiling, so patching the kernel myself would be rather difficult.  Does
anyone on this list have a netbsd kernel with the tlp driver patched for a raq2
like mine?  If so, I'd love to have a link from where I could download it.

--
Nick Barkas
nick@replic.net

"It takes 47 muscles to frown and only 8 to bitch slap the person that pissed
you off."