Subject: Re: Cobalt RaQ2
To: =?iso-8859-2?Q? " Anton=EDn_Fabi=E8ovi=E8 " ?= <Antonin.Fabicovic@olympo.cz>
From: Kevin Lahey <kml@patheticgeek.net>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/30/2002 10:14:23
In message <41256B51.005A6363.00@netfinity3500.olympo.cz>=?iso-8859-2?Q? "Anton
=EDn_Fabi=E8ovi=E8" ?= writes

>I'm trying to tweak my cobalt into a powerful BSD box ;) and I'd like to
>hold the old system & data intact (well, there're bigger drivers than 18G
>these days :), so I decided to put in a brand new harddrive. So, the
>question is: Is there any limitation (Hardware and/or software)? Eg, is it
>possible to implement, let's say, a 60G disk?

I put in a 60GB Maxtor 4W060H4 (536DX) and it works great.  I picked this
one because it used very little power, just like the original disk.
I have no idea if that's important, but it seemed like a good idea,
since it sounded like power issues might manifest themselves as
random crashes or memory corruptions.

It turned out to be a noisier box than I had expected.  I haven't got
the guts to turn off the power fan, so I'm not sure if it is that or
the disk.

>Furthermore, is there a possibility to use a 256MB SIMM? Will it work? (I
>hope so..)

The memory in the Qube is kind of odd, so there are, as far as I know,
only a few places to get it from.  I got a 128MB SIMM from:

	http://www.kamel-peripherals.com/

It was pricy for a 128MB SIMM, but it sure felt nice to have more than
32MB in there...

[Wait, last minute disclaimer -- this was on a Qube, not a Raq --
I didn't see the subject line until just this moment...]

Kevin
kml@patheticgeek.net