Subject: RE: Cobalt Qube2 Compatible P/S
To: Peter H. Froehlich <pfroehli@ics.uci.edu>
From: Robert Thille <rthille@mac.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 01/18/2002 11:01:00

Actually, I did a bunch of searching with Google and found this:
http://www.eoscorp.com/products/frame_products.htm

This item (ZVC36FS12E) links to here:
 http://www.eoscorp.com/products/specs/MicroZVC.pdf

That's the actual power supply, but the default connector is wrong:
"Output Connector Right angle, hollow coax plug 0.10 (2.54mm) inside and
0.21 (5.49mm)"

They talk about the connectors here:
http://www.eoscorp.com/products/cables.htm

And how to get the right one here:
http://www.eoscorp.com/products/cables/choosing.html

This page shows that to get the right 3 pin locking connector, you want a
part number that ends in AA instead of 'E'
http://www.eoscorp.com/products/cables/kycon.html

Anyway, then I looked for distributors, but none of them had the Micro
version (36Watt) with the right connector.  Allied was pretty close
geographically, and they had a higher wattage power supply with the right
connector, so I went with them.  I figure the higher watts will come in
handy if I add a 2nd hard drive to the box.

I still wasn't sure that it'd have the right polarity and pinout, but when
it came it tested out the same as my cobalt power supply.  How it tests out
is really wierd though... both of them show 12-18VAC between the two main
pins and the collar, but show 12VDC between the two main pins.  Wierd.

Robert

P.S. How is UCI these days? That's where I got my Degree.  Ray Klefstad
still around?