Subject: Re: how to install netbsd on a cube (newbie)
To: Frank Mattes <list_server2001@yahoo.com>
From: Matthew Luckie <kluckie@ihug.co.nz>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 12/21/2001 08:26:19
> I picked up a couple of month ago a cube 2, and would
> like and install netBSD. I went through the FAQ, the
> netbsd guide and netBSD diskless howto. I have to
> confess I'm not a unix guru ad have only installed
> netbsd/linux from cd. My impression is that intsalling
> by netboot is not easy and I couln't find a step by
> step guide.

Ted wrote quite a good guide about how to do a netboot install, step by
step.

do you have a NFS server that you could use?

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2001/10/01/0001.html
when i got hold of a qube and did the install i found some problems with the
description on how to do things, but its pretty straight forward.
here's a few notes to be wary of
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2001/10/09/0003.html

> What is your feeling about this approach ?
> How do I prepare a empty disk (not formatted yet for
> BSD).

I havent done this, so i can't really comment.

> Is it correct that the root partition has to be a old
> linux partition (I think disklabel 82) ?

that is true, the bios expects the first partition to be linux and looks for
vmlinux.gz (or whatever it is) and boots that.  the kernel can of course be
anything and that is how we boot netbsd

i found it handy to use the serial console as i was installing netbsd as it
makes things easy to debug