Subject: Re: pkgsrc make failures
To: Paul <paul@evilspider.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 09/01/2001 19:34:18
On Sat, 1 Sep 2001, Paul wrote:
> checking for gcc... cc
> checking whether the C compiler (cc -I/usr/blah/blah/blah -O2
> -L/usr/blah/blah/blah  -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib)
> works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
> cannot create executables.
>
> I assume this is because most of the NetBSD pkgs are looking to compile
> with gcc and gmake rather than egcs.  As we can't install gmake or gcc
> is there a command parameter for make that I can use to ensure
> compilation?

NetBSD comes with egcs which is just a version of gcc, and there's also a
"gcc" frontend which is pretty much the same as "cc" (or vice versa :-).
Anyways, it might be interresting to see what the config.log file says.

And: it seems the cobalt port has a problem with /bin/sh crashing often. I
solved this with a "mv /bin/sh /bin/sh.orig ; ln /bin/ksh /bin/sh". Maybe
try that first...

> Whilst I appreciate the effort you guys have gone to with producing this
> port I am becoming increasingly frustrated with not being able to
> compile the most rudimentary things.  Hopefully someone out there has a
> simple answer to these problems.

I agree that the port needs a firm hand leading it...

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/