Subject: Re: MIPS power management support ??
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 05/29/2001 10:08:12
"Andre" <armcc@lycos.com> wrote;

> After trying out netbsd 1.5 (the NOSCSI version of the kernel) on
> a Qube2, I am concerned that netbsd might not be the best OS to
> help ensure a long and reliable lifetime for the cpu....
>
> Under Linux, the cpu ran cool to the touch for most of the time,
> but with netbsd it seems to get _very_ hot, even when the system
> is lightly loaded.

Cosuming power is concern, however, dissipated heat should not destroy
the QED processor.

> Is power management really missing from netbsd ? or do I simply
> need to try a different version kernel ??

NetBSD/cobalt does not have it inside.  MIPS processor manufactures
implemented power saving instructions in incompatible ways.
MIPS/hpcmips for WinCE devices uses its own power saving hook when the
NEC Vr process is idle.  So, it should not be hard to add QED specific
power saving stuff mimicking Vr.

Tohru Nishimura