Subject: disk swap on a qube?
To: None <port-cobalt@mail.netbsd.org>
From: Kevin Lahey <kml@dotrocket.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 03/05/2001 11:50:43
I got my hands on a Qube a few months back, and have been experimenting
with it off and on.  With the California power crisis coming on, the
little 36W Cobalt box suddenly looks lots nicer than my elderly
Pentium 133 as a home server, NAT box, etc.

Rather than trash the Linux disk, I just bought a new 20GB disk.
As I got ready to install it, I noticed that it had a draw of 700mA/800mA,
whereas the OEM disk drew only 650mA.  Is this something I should worry
about, or will the box handle it okay?

The particular box I have has the QED RM5200 CPU (0x28a0) Rev. 10.0 with
built-in FPU Rev. 10.0 and L1 cache: 32KB/32B instruction, 32KB/32B data,
two way set associative with 32MB of memory and the 6GB Quantum disk.

Any thoughts?  I guess I'm willing to trash the Linux disk, but I figure
that about five minutes after I do that, I'll have some problem that'll
require a firmware update or something else that is easy to fix from
the Linux partition, but impossible to fix from NetBSD.  Or I'll learn,
"Linux emulation is easy, you just take the library files from your
Linux partition..."  Buying a new disk for less than $100 just seemed
easier.

Thanks,

Kevin
kml@dotrocket.com