Subject: Re: extreme newbie questions
To: Jason Fayre <jfayre@fayre.dhs.org>
From: Soren S. Jorvang <soren@wheel.dk>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/18/2001 01:55:17
On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 04:30:47PM -0800, Jason Fayre wrote:
> At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot,  I have the following
> questions:

Don't worry..

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=fdisk&apropos=0&sektion=8&manpath=NetBSD+1.5&format=html

> Linux world.  After I get the netboot up and running and have a root
> shell, I cannot run the "man" command to get the fdisk page.  The system
> tells me that "man" is not found.  I have mounted /usr, and the base, man,
> and text sets are installed on the NFS server.  I need to leave the first

Double check the extraction and NFS mount. Is the rest of
/usr/bin there?

> ext2 filesystem alone so I can boot the system.  I want to make the rest
> of the drive a BSD filesystem.  Also, the syntax for disklabel would help
> as well.

The perhaps easiest way to reuse the existing partitions is to
just newfs_ffs the wd0[e-h] synthesized from the MBR table.

You can get a quick view of that using 'disklabel wd0'.

> 2.  It was mentioned in one of the Howto documents that I should be asked
> for my terminal type after loggin in single-user mode.   I was not
> asked and my terminal is quite messed up.  Any ideas?

It won't happen in single-user mode, as the login script is not
run then. It happens when logging in as root using the default
/.cshrc .

--
Soren