Subject: netbsd port questions
To: None <>
From: Jason Fayre <>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 02/16/2001 10:18:10
I am trying to get the netbsd port installed on a Qube2.  I have looked at
the FAQ as well as the archives of this list.  I'm stuck.  My questions

1.  Is it necessary to fdisk the drive prior to putting the netbsd kernel
on the drive?  (I.E. can I just use the filesstem as-is and put the netbsd
kernel in /boot?)

2.  In order to instal the rest of the OS, it looks like I will have to
set up a DHCP and and NFS server on another box.  Is this correct?  If so,
I'm assuming I need to follow the procedure in the diskless howto.

If possible, could someone give me a step-by-step on how to make this

My current situation is:
I put the kernel in /boot and rename it to vmlinux.gz.  When I reboot the
unit, I get the decompressing kernel message on the serial console.  I
don't get any output from the BSD kernel.  After about 2 minutes, I get
some messages from the boot loader stating that it couldn't load the
kernel because of some kind of disk error.

Any ideas would be apreciated.