Subject: Re: Pardon a newbie question...
To: Tod Arndt <toda@tzn.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillham@vaultron.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 09/08/2000 15:40:53
Tod Arndt writes:
> I've got Raq2 I'm attempting to load the NetBSD onto, understanding there
> isn't a doc on the procedure yet (to the best of my knowledge), so it's
> going slowly.

Hopefully you'll get it going before too long. :)

> The question is:  while I understand that there needs to be a Linux boot
> kernel (I'm presuming because the MIPs processor looks for one), and that
> there's no keyboard, monitor or floppy port to hook to, I need to setup the
> IDE harddrive in another box with Linux before transferring the harddrive
> back to the Raq2 - how much of the standard Linux install can I get rid of
> and still function, or should I leave it alone?

The firmware basically needs:
	"FDISK" style partition table with a "linux native" first
	partition is formatted as ext2fs.
	/boot/vmlinux -- holds the gzipped kernel (in linux partition)
	/usr/games/.doug -- optional backup kernel (in linux partition)

Everything else on the Linux filesystem can be trashed as it is totally
unnecessary.  In reality you should be able to just fdisk/partition/newfs
and copy a kernel onto the new filesystem.  You shouldn't need to do a
complete install on the disk.

-Andrew