Subject: Booting from Disk
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Nalley <jonathan@advapro.com>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 08/03/2000 17:50:08
Hi All,

I am having some problems getting my Qube2 to boot from a new drive.  I
can boot from the drive that came with the Qube2 by placing the NetBSD
kernel in /boot/vmlinux.gz or using the /usr/games/.doug method.  I can
netboot with no problem as well.  I am unable to boot after creating an
ext2fs partition on a new drive and placing a the kernel in either of
those locations.  It seems like there must be something special about
the layout of the drive, or the MBR??

The message I get when it fails is:

Decompressing  done
Jump_to_Real_Kernel: disk error, trying BFD again
Decompressing  done
Jump_to_Real_Kernel: disk error, trying BFD again
get_root_dev: nr_boot_failures 0x00000002 exceeds maxtries 0x00000002
for
boot_0
*** halting ***

--
Jon Nalley               Advanced Projects International Inc.
jnalley@advapro.com      phone:  713.978.6312