Subject: Re: NetBSD 4.0 RC2 on Cats
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-cats
Date: 10/12/2007 23:57:51
Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> chris@dokein.co.uk wrote:
>
>> It's probably one of those that de works fine with but tlp doesn't (note
>> if the card is in an i386 server it does work with the tlp driver)
>
> FYI, I used tlp0 on cats for long time:
>
> tlp0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0: DECchip 21140A Ethernet, pass 2.0
> tlp0: broken MicroWire interface detected; setting SROM size to 1Kb
> tlp0: interrupting at irq 8
> tlp0: Ethernet address 00:00:c0:ee:e4:f8
> nsphy0 at tlp0 phy 3: DP83840 10/100 media interface, rev. 0
> nsphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

I'm not sure which cards have the problem, but it happens with one of my
tlps, but not the other.  The symptom is always that tlp doesn't find
the phy.

Normally with messages like:
tlp0: unable to configure MII
tlp0: no media found!

There are emails about this going back to 2003.

However my recent findings are that this issue doesn't happen in the
chris-arm-intr-rework branch.  I believe the issue is MD, and related to
how interrupts and spls work on cats.

Thanks,
Chris