Port-cats archive

Re: Trouble running 3.1 GENERIC kernel

Thank you for taking the time to answer, the port-cats list seems a bit quiet...

On 2006-12-03, at 12.49, Nick Hudson wrote:

On Saturday 02 December 2006 21:43, Håkan Thörngren wrote:
I am having trouble booting NetBSD after installing on my cats. [..]

It looks like the kernel has got too big for cyclone. If you're brave you could try ABLE, but keep the cylone flash program available via disk or cdrom
just in case.

I do not feel that brave yet and it seems to be something you need to pay for too. I also recall reading that there are/were issues with ABLE/NetBSD.

I have tried all supplied kernels, the only that works is the
installation kernel.  Has anyone else succeeded in booting the GENERIC
3.1 kernel?

I'll try 3.1 on my cats when I get a chance and see what's best to do.

A smaller kernel would be very highly appreciated.

One solution seems to be to cross compile a (smaller) kernel. It did not look too complicated if one have NetBSD 1.6. The closest I can get to that now is an Amiga 3000 with 1.6.1 that needs a couple of cables to connect to the local network. I hope that I can find those cables during next week.

/Håkan

Nick