Subject: Re: Trouble running 3.1 GENERIC kernel
To: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?H=E5kan_Th=F6rngren?= <hth@blixtmail.se>
List: port-cats
Date: 12/05/2006 22:58:44
Thank you for taking the time to answer, the port-cats list seems a bit=20=

quiet...

On 2006-12-03, at 12.49, Nick Hudson wrote:

> On Saturday 02 December 2006 21:43, H=E5kan Th=F6rngren wrote:
>> I am having trouble booting NetBSD after installing on my cats. [..]
>
> It looks like the kernel has got too big for cyclone. If you're brave=20=

> you
> could try ABLE, but keep the cylone flash program available via disk=20=

> or cdrom
> just in case.

I do not feel that brave yet and it seems to be something you need to=20
pay for too. I also recall reading that there are/were issues with=20
ABLE/NetBSD.

>> I have tried all supplied kernels, the only that works is the
>> installation kernel.  Has anyone else succeeded in booting the =
GENERIC
>> 3.1 kernel?
>
> I'll try 3.1 on my cats when I get a chance and see what's best to do.

A smaller kernel would be very highly appreciated.

One solution seems to be to cross compile a (smaller) kernel.  It did=20
not look too complicated if one have NetBSD 1.6.  The closest I can get=20=

to that now is an Amiga 3000 with 1.6.1 that needs a couple of cables=20
to connect to the local network.  I hope that I can find those cables=20
during next week.

/H=E5kan