Subject: Re: CATS newbie
To: None <tjh-lists@arwen.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-cats
Date: 03/21/2003 15:18:33
Tim said:
> Hi there.
>
> I recently acquired a second hand CATS motherboard, and I'm having a
> couple  of problems installing anything on it.
>
> Firstly, the firmware is 0.5, so I wanted to upgrade it to 1.3. I can't
> see  any options/commands in the firmware boot system regarding TFTP, so
> I tried  the cdrom method. I burnt the flash-x86.img to a CD (as a file)
> and tried:
>
> 	boot cd0:

You burnt it as a file to the cd? or burnt it as an image?  (note simtec
instructions lack here)  but if you make an iso file system with the img
(is it the img or the other file, there's 2 files) in the root partition
of it, you should be able to do:
boot cd0:filename

> And got:

> 	raw: 1090672680 Input/Output error

yep that looks wrong...

> (The CD does spin up before it fails, and I tried two different CD
> drives  with the same result).
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>

> Next I thought that I'd download the catscd.iso and try that anyway.
> However, I can't seem to work out what to tell the boot-loader to boot
> or  how to install it onto a totally clean system. There is no netbsd
> directory  on it (the install instructions say "boot cd0:/netbsd" and
> that
> unsurprisingly says "file not found"), and the:
> 	cats/installation/kernel
> directory is empty. :( What else do I need to download in order to
> install?

list of things to check this weekend, it appears the downloadable image is
wrong!  It should have a netbsd (does it have a netbsd.aout)

> I thought about putting the flash file on a hard-drive and flashing off
> of  that, but I'm concerned that the 20GB Maxtor drive that I put in the
>  machine is recognised as an 8063MB drive - does the CATS have the same
> kind  of drive-size limitations as similar era PCs, or will the newer
> firmware  fix that issue?

I've found no issues with the 30 and 40GB disks in mine, but then I've got
the latest firmware...

> Basically, I need to know where to go from here so I can play with my
> "new"  toy. :) Any help/cries of "you idiot, do it like that", or "go
> read this"  appreciated.

I wish I could say read this, but I think you've found the right doc
already....

Cheers,
Chris