Subject: CATS newbie
To: None <port-cats@netbsd.org>
From: Tim <tjh-lists@arwen.com>
List: port-cats
Date: 03/21/2003 09:45:46
Hi there.

I recently acquired a second hand CATS motherboard, and I'm having a couple
of problems installing anything on it.

Firstly, the firmware is 0.5, so I wanted to upgrade it to 1.3. I can't see
any options/commands in the firmware boot system regarding TFTP, so I tried
the cdrom method. I burnt the flash-x86.img to a CD (as a file) and tried:

	boot cd0:

And got:

	raw: 1090672680 Input/Output error

(The CD does spin up before it fails, and I tried two different CD drives
with the same result).

What am I doing wrong?

Next I thought that I'd download the catscd.iso and try that anyway.
However, I can't seem to work out what to tell the boot-loader to boot or
how to install it onto a totally clean system. There is no netbsd directory
on it (the install instructions say "boot cd0:/netbsd" and that
unsurprisingly says "file not found"), and the:
	cats/installation/kernel
directory is empty. :( What else do I need to download in order to install?

I thought about putting the flash file on a hard-drive and flashing off of
that, but I'm concerned that the 20GB Maxtor drive that I put in the
machine is recognised as an 8063MB drive - does the CATS have the same kind
of drive-size limitations as similar era PCs, or will the newer firmware
fix that issue?

Basically, I need to know where to go from here so I can play with my "new"
toy. :) Any help/cries of "you idiot, do it like that", or "go read this"
appreciated.

Many thanks,

Tim.