Subject: Re: new cats box...new experience
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-cats
Date: 10/22/2002 10:08:31
On 22 Oct 2002 01:20:16 -0400
"Nathan J. Williams" <nathanw@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net> writes:
>
> > which is rather old.  i didn't see anywhere obvious to snarf it from
> > their web pages.  do i write to them and ask, or is this something
> > that someone can load me a copy of?  :)
>
> http://www.simtec.co.uk/products/EB110ATX/support.shtml

Note that 0.5 isn't actually that old, 0.6 was the latest for a long
long time, they jumped to 1.30 from 0.6.  (yes a big leap in numbering)
The new features in it seem to be:
1. can boot a 5MB a.out kernel (needed by us for the install kernel)
2. can boot linux elf kernel (the person that did the new firmware is a
linux hacker)
3. improved x86 emulation for modern gfx cards, eg nvidia, ati, etc.
4. note it also seems to have helped someone with problems getting
Xfree86 working, no idea why, but it did...

Note that the readme isn't very clear but you can just boot the new
firmware as you would any kernel eg:
boot wd1a:firmware.130

should just work...

Chris