Subject: Re: new cats box...new experience
To: None <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-cats
Date: 10/21/2002 22:39:03
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 22:23:33 +0900 (JST)
Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp> wrote:

> In article <20021017114154.A9113@noc.untraceable.net>
> atatat@atatdot.net wrote:
>
> > it seems that after netbsd starts to boot, it stops using the serial
> > console that the firmware was using.  perhaps i misunderstood the
> > faq, but i thought it meant that the other serial port became active
> > at that point.
>
> Hmm, my cats (at least with 0.6 firmware) uses fcom for console
> both on firmware and kernel:

Having just had a play with setting up a serial console I've now got it
working.

Numerous bits and pieces needed:
1. a recent -current, as you need:
	sys/arch/arm/conf/files.footbridge v 1.9
   It appears that potr's tweaking of config missed that footbridge was
an interface, and fcom wasn't attaching at footbridge.

2. make sure you've got a recent firmware, 0.6 should be enough, but I'd
recomment you get 1.30 from simtec's web site, link from cats homepage

3. You might want to check the jumper settings for the com ports to be
sure they're configured to what you want. for me lk 9 and lk 11 are
jumpered to 1-2.  lk 8 and 10 are jumpered to 2-3.  This makes the 2nd
com port be fcom (2nd from the right as you look at it from the back)

4. don't use hardware flow control the hardware doesn't have it.

Anyway I'm using cu -f -l /dev/tty00 -s 38400 and it's working fine for
the boot, the getty messed up but adding:
fcom|fcom serial console:\
        :np:sp#38400:ig:

to /etc/gettytab
and changing the console line in /etc/ttys to:
console "/usr/libexec/getty fcom"       vt100   on secure

seems to have made it all happy.  (getty switches the speed down to 9600
by default)

Chris