Subject: Re: Cyclone 0.6 and kernel boot
To: None <port-cats@netbsd.org>
From: NISHIMURA, Toru <nisimura@opentech.co.jp>
List: port-cats
Date: 05/23/2002 21:03:45
mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp wrote:

> Great Thanks, just I've upgraded to firmware 1.20 and succeeded to
> load uncapsuled zImage (without catsboot - of course I can load
> catsboot-capsuled kernel too) from HDD and make it boot well.
> But,
> 	boot> load wd0a:boot/zImage
>
> can load kernel from /dev/hdc3, and
>
> 	boot> load wd0b:boot/zImage
> 	boot> load wd0c:boot/zImage
>
> cannot load.

This looks to me a displine issue.  Personally, I hate "make every
computer looks-like/behaves-like a PC" mantra of Linux champ.  At
very least the new CATS ROM feature needs to have definite rule and
functionality to choose and run one of multiple OSes installed inside
a single HD.  Or, provide the "OS specific 1st stage boot program
which resides in predefined disk block area."  It would free ROM
monitor from disklabel design varieties and file system internals.

It seems the 1.20 behaviour consistent to me.

Toru Nishimura/Engineering Lead/ALKYL Technology