Subject: ISA Sound cards cause machine death
To: None <port-cats@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-cats
Date: 02/10/2002 17:50:37
Right, so I've finally managed to lay my hands on an ISA sound card that I
can put in my cats. (A SoundBlaster AWE64 for the record).  I didn't want
to waste the final remaining PCI slot on a sound card, so I've been
hunting round for an old ISA one (no-body uses them any more, so it took a
while to track one down...

Anyway, the card seems to work (in that I can get it to emit a sound), but
after starting to use it the machine starts to lock up :-(

Symptoms

Card probes OK, giving

isapnp0: read port 0x203
isapnp0: No current device for tag, card 1
sb0 at isapnp0 port 0x220/16,0x330/2,0x388/4 irq 5 drq 1,5
sb0: Creative SB AWE64  PnP Audio: dsp v4.16
audio0 at sb0: full duplex, mmap, independent
opl0 at sb0: model OPL3
midi at opl0 not configured
joy0 at isapnp0 port 0x200/8
joy0: Creative SB AWE64  PnP Game
joy0: joystick not connected
isapnp0: <Creative SB AWE64  PnP, CTL0022, , WaveTable> port 0x620/4 not
configured

Added sound devices in /dev

Start to play an audio file, eg with audioplay.

Machine plays file, but

- Network locks up,
- start to get io errors on the disk
- eventually machine completely hangs

Anyone have any ideas?  Given that the machine doesn't really fall over in
any way that can be nailed down, I'm not really sure where to start on
this one.

Out of interest, has anyone managed to get a sound card to work on say the
PCI bus.

R.