Port-cats archive

Re: GENERIC cats kernel fails to build...

On Tuesday 08 January 2002 12:04 am, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> Just to let people know, it appears that something is broken with the
> GENERIC cats kernel (or it is for me?) when built with an a.out toolchain.
> It gets past the initarm (I think) and then just hangs.  I'm going to
> investigate this issue tommorrow.

Having investigated it appears that the kernel is just too darn big.  The
problem occurs because the top of the kernel stack ends up at 0xf0408000.
Which is outside of the kernel page table  which ranges between 0xf0000000
and 0xf03ffff, I think it can be solved by having a second kernel page table,
but needs some clever stuff to cope with any stuff that goes across the 2
page tables.  (note that kernel page tables are seperate from KVM page tables
which do the range from 0xf100000 upwards till the first IO device)

It'll need more work than a quick late night hack.  I'll try to find some
time this weekend.

Chris