Subject: Re: Any Snapshot; BootROM
To: <>
From: Jack Johnson <fragment@nas.com>
List: port-bebox
Date: 10/09/2001 08:02:47
On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Scott Lindsey wrote:
> Assuming that there's actually anything else useful written down.
> About a year + 1/2 ago, I posted Dominic's brain dump on the topic to
> this list, plus some source for flashing.  Dominic started out with
>
> >Actually this stuff is kind of lost in the mists of time (i.e. Bob
> >Herold is the one who really understood this stuff and he's long
> >gone).

I vaguely remember that post.  You're right, though, if we could get the
source to bootmain.image (and maybe the flash updater) that would be very
nice.

> Personally, I'd like a flexible boot loader that can boot any OS I
> have installed, but I'm kind of funny that way.

I agree.

I like the idea of something like OpenFirmware on Macs and Suns (and I
think the NetWinder uses it or something similar), but seeing the work
that's been done on GRUB, I like how flexible it is, and how easy to
configure.

I've been thinking of buying a 4MB CompactFlash card and adapter for my
x86 box, just for GRUB or something like it, as an experiment.

-Jack