Subject: Re: Any Snapshot; BootROM
To: None <port-bebox@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Lindsey <wombat@gobe.com>
List: port-bebox
Date: 10/08/2001 19:58:05
>Thank you for your generous offer of creating a recent snapshot.  I think
>many of us would agree that any snapshot done in this century would be
>fine.

I pretty much agree.  I added 128Mb of memory to my BeBox and now
NetBSD won't boot.  I'm assuming there was a hardcoded limit (related
to VM?) in the bootstrap.

>While I'm on my soapbox, now that Palm has bought out Be, perhaps we
>should petition Palm to releasing the specs on the BeBox BootROM.  It
>would be nice to replace it with something more OpenFirmware-like so that
>all of the alternative OS ports could benefit.

Assuming that there's actually anything else useful written down.
About a year + 1/2 ago, I posted Dominic's brain dump on the topic to
this list, plus some source for flashing.  Dominic started out with

>Actually this stuff is kind of lost in the mists of time (i.e. Bob
>Herold is the one who really understood this stuff and he's long
>gone).

So maybe if someone can track down Bob Herold and try to get more
info out of him....

One thing Palm (once the deal actually goes through -- I don't think
it's been approved by stockholders yet) might be able to provide
would be one or more of the actual boot loaders (source to
bootmain.image, that is).  If not, disassembling it might be the only
way to go.

Personally, I'd like a flexible boot loader that can boot any OS I
have installed, but I'm kind of funny that way.

--
Scott Lindsey <wombat@gobe.com>