Port-bebox archive

Re: (offtopic and quite possibly silly) BeBox architecture, next generation

Sorry to be a parade-rainer, but..

In order to be a "BeBox", it'd have to run BeOS.  If it doesn't use
chipsets that BeOS expects to find (i.e., compatible with supported
BeBoxen or PowerMac's), then don't expect Be to spend engineering time
getting BeOS to work with it.  Keep in mind that Be is a very small
company still struggling to make it, plus many of the engineers
involved with the BeBox are no longer with Be.

If it doesn't run BeOS, then it's just a generic PPC box, perhaps akin
to IBM's stillborn POP design.

>From what I've seen, the BeBox design seems to be "somewhat"
documented, as opposed to "well" documented.

I must admit to being something of a lurker on this list.  I've never
actually used BSD on my BeBox - the lack of support for non-BSD
partitioning kind of put me off, since I still run BeOS.  I don't how
well SMP is supported in NetBSD-BeBox (or any BSD, for that matter).  I
know that under Linux, it doesn't work at all.  Of course, the BeLinux
project is just about dead from lack of interest from knowledgable
participants.

I do know that the BeBox's multi-processor design was a massive kludge
for economic reasons, misusing a cache controller to connect the CPU's,
with one result being that the BeBox has no cache.  This, of course,
doesn't help performance one whit.  I believe it also is strictly
limited to the two processors.

Also, the 603 simply wasn't designed with multiprocessing in mind (the
750 has similar problems).  For SMP, you'd really want to go with the
604 or 7400 series.