Port-bebox archive

boot from wd0

I seem to have installed the distribution snapshot, but I
can't figure out how to boot it.  I gather this will still
involve a floppy - is that what generic_vga.fs is for?  That
one stalls on me, after
  boot device: <unknown>
  root device: wscons: wskbd0 glued to wsdisplay0 (console)

I have tried to interrupt the floppy boot and type in a
boot command, but that only gets me errors from the floppy
device driver.  How do you do it?  Am I missing some
documentation?

I think the ftp transfer of the distribution went OK, but
it ended with an error.  (Unfortunately the install clears
the screen immediately, so I have no idea what the error
was - probably trying to get a component that wasn't there.
I got everything there was.)  That scotched the install, so
I had to install the files by hand, and anything else that
sysinst would have done was left for later.

These floppies aren't real reliable booters for me.  May
be bad media, or a rickety drive, I don't know.  At one
point the boot reached the console stage before it failed
with floppy read errors.  When it gets that way, I take
the floppy out, read it on my laptop and put it back in
the BeBox - have no idea why that would help, maybe it
just cools the BeBox down, or unjams the floppy disk.

        Donn Cave, donn%oz.net@localhost